Tuesday, June 15, 2010

When The Going Gets Tough..

I have never really talked about my career, but due to the recent changes that I have made with this part of my life, there is no time like the present!

I graduated early from highschool and went to Fanshawe College for the Law Clerk program full-time. I had just been working at Sobey's part-time and then started with Wal-Mart. Half-way through the program I hit a crossroad: I either needed to goto Law School and become a lawyer OR change programs, because this was not my "dream" job! So, I finished my first year and then moved on to part-time education and started working full-time at Wal-Mart in the photolab. I decided I would try the Medical Office Assistant course. I finished the schooling 2+ years ago, but just graduated with my certificate last year, as they changed the program so that you did not need to do placement! I had already been working in the field and did not want to pay for a placement course, when I was already working and getting paid for it!

I was applying for jobs like crazy, and finally found one in Tillsonburg. They wanted me full-time at first, but I was not comfortable with that idea, so I started part-time and wanted to make sure I loved my new job. Little did I know that I would LOVE my job and took the full-time position and did not look back! I became the office supervisor, which meant I was now responsible for the office. My job had its ups and downs and come January of 2010, I was then stuck with a new challenge at the office. I was the only one permanently employed and we were going to start doing colonoscopies and gastroscopies in the office. I felt very uncomfortable with this situation and slowly started resolving issues one at time, with staffing being the first. I trained, trained and trained more and more staff, and luckily we found some willing participants to do the scopes. I asked a lot of questions about these scopes and procedure being followed, and did not agree with a lot of the answers in my own mind. I am not a nurse, I should not pretend to be a nurse. I did not want to be responsible for these patients. I think that is where I went wrong in the Dr's mind, by asking these questions, because it was all downhill from there on. He then started blaming random things on me, questioning my integrity and questioning who I was as a person, not only as an employee. This was a very difficult time for me, coming home and feeling like I might just be over-reacting in feeling the way he was making me feel. After much discussion with family and friends, and looking at Mike and I's financial situation, we decided I was to quit and move on with my life and that this was just simply not worth it.

I went into the office the next day and did just that, however it did not go as planned and he begged me stay.... I see now, I should have ran, but instead he insisted that change would happen! I had been applying for multiple jobs every day, and if I was offered a job, I would take it. Four more weeks went on, little things started happening here and there, and changes were occurring with my job responsibilities and hours. Enough on that..

Luckily a new job came up and I jumped on it! I am now working in Cambridge for a company opening up for Diagnostic Cardiology. It is part-time to start, but will eventually become full-time once we get established, which was fine with me, giving me time to get back into the things I once loved (photography). I not only get payed more, I am in my own office, with a great view and I don't have to do nearly as much as I had to previously!

Life is great, I am happy!Text Color

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...