Friday, August 12, 2011

DIY Project Revealed!!!

Are you ready? Did you have any guesses before hand on what I might have done?

Well it had something to do with the mudroom. I had mentioned before that I wanted to make valances for the windows, but what I failed to mention was the need for curtains!! Unfortunately, I did not buy enough fabric to do exactly what I wanted and I couldn't just go back and get more because I bought them on the state side!  I haven't even touched that fabric yet, aside from washing it.

So I just happened to have some roman shades that were in the room before. They were yellow, which obviously did not match my new color scheme.

 I was going to buy some new ones until my inner creative flare started to itch. I wanted to recover them! So with a few key strokes and google, I came across this site. However, I did not exactly follow her steps.

I decided to reduce/reuse/recycle. I took old white bed sheets from our old queen bed (that is in our guest room). I had M help me measure and cut the sheets to work with my roman shade. I left about 2 inches on each side of the roman shade, room for hemming and gluing!! I ended up having to double up the sheets to try to prevent the color coming through, but either way when the sun shines through you can still see hints of yellow, but I'm not overly concerned about it because they will be rolled up when we have company. So I hemmed the two sheets together and then ironed them.

Then with M's help, we laid out the roman shade facing up and put the sheet on top of it - this will be the side that shows. We ran a string of glue along the top edge and stuck the fabric snug to the plastic of the roman shade. We then flipped the roman shade revealing the back, pulled the fabric snug and ran glue down the sides, folding the fabric into it on each side. Then I folded the corners in on the bottom, rolled it upwards and glued it in place as well. We waited a few minutes to let the glue set and then hung it up!!


We did the exact same thing to the other one as well obviously, since they are hanging on double doors!!

Now the true test... how will it gather?


PERFECT!!! We totally rocked this DIY project!!! M did admit afterwards that he thought I was crazy for trying this, but was very impressed with how it turned out!!!

Now I just have valances to make and then Velcro on to the plastic pieces!!

Voila... DIY Roman Shades Covers!!! Easy-peasy!!!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What I great idea! I don't have any roman shades, but you better bet I'd be trying this if I did!

Rebekah said...

Wow! I never would have thought to do that. You did a great job!

Alexa said...

Awesome DIY project! Thanks for sharing!
xo
Alexa
www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

Amber said...

This is great! I might have to try my hand at this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...